Home Away from Home

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I made a trip way up north this weekend to one of my favorite places on earth - Montreal. I've got loads of family up there, including a second cousin who's like a best friend to me, and it always feels like coming home.

sitting on the steps in front of Mangiafoco, the restaurant where I met Jeff Stinco a few years ago in Montreal's Old Port. Jeff owns the place.

I'm kind of an elitist when it comes to the cities I love. Being that I'm from New York, I don't think there's any city in the world that can top the city that never sleeps. My home is a music, fashion, culture, food, economic, capital of the world, and I am so lucky to have been raised in its light. 

Montreal doesn't come close to comparing to New York, but it always feels special to me. Maybe it's my family, who always take me in with open arms and feed me plenty and make me laugh all night. Or maybe it's the beautiful Old Port, where I once met Jeff Stinco, a guitarist in one of my favorite bands Simple Plan. Whatever it is, the place feels like a home away from home for me and my heart always feels so full when I get to visit.

my cousin Felicia and I

I didn't take as many photos as I should have this time around - I was preoccupied with talking and catching up and eating (eating lots) and it didn't seem to cross my mind. I also hate looking like a tourist, especially in a city where I don't speak the language (see: the fact that many Quebecois will give you a nasty looking for trying to address them in English) and thus I tend not to stop in the middle of the street to take photos. But, that's okay. I felt like I was where I was supposed to be.

I had my first clubbing experience - I'm not legal in the States, and I'm pretty much a homebody so the idea of it never appealed to me, but I had fun. Everything seems fun when I'm with my cousins, and I always find myself wishing I could spend even more time with them. I shopped at Garage, my cousin Felicia's favorite store, and discovered how well their jeans fit me, plus found the perfect black dress that I've been hunting down for ages. I ate enough lasagna to feed a small village, plus experienced the wonder of a taco pie. I also watched a scary movie that made it hard to sleep at night, and drove through Montreal at 2 in the morning with the windows down, the music loud, and a bunch of my favorite people in the car with me.

my cousins and I at Pinq, the club we hit up in downtown Montreal


I have every intention of going back, as usual. I feel a deeper pang every time I leave the beautiful city. Then, I see the New York City skyline rising in front of me and I remember why I am where I am. Sometimes, I suppose, you need to head somewhere else to remind yourself why the place you come from is the best in the world. It's just a bonus if the place you're visiting may very well be second best. 

Check under the cut to see some of the very few photos I took on my trip. Remind me to take more next time.
a really good - albeit tiny - wrap from Wrap City in Downtown Montreal ft. the Quay Australia My Girl sunnies that I've been obsessed with lately

More from the front step of Mangiafoco, where you can see my outfit better. Palazzo pants from Zara, top from Topshop, sunnies from Quay Australia, bag Rebecca Minkoff, shoes Forever 21

Felicia and I saw Paper Towns at the Forum, the Montreal Canadiens former home. The place was incredible, with some of the original seats still intact. Paper Towns was also very good - I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

No comments

Post a Comment